Pediatrics and family medicine. What’s your first choice as a parent?
You are about to become a new parent. You are picking out names, decorating the baby’s new room, and collecting all of the little odds and ends babies need. But one of the most important decisions you will need to make is selecting a pediatrician, the primary health care provider for your little one.
Choosing a pediatrician – is perhaps one of the most important decisions parents make in the life of their child. Many babies will visit a physician as many as eleven times throughout the first year of life for both well-baby and other visits.
Pediatrics does more than tend to a child’s illnesses; he or she will also monitor the overall health and well-being of your child and can be your guide through your child’s growth and development. For these reasons, it is important to find a pediatrician whom you trust, and with whom you and your child feel comfortable.
The first step in your search for a pediatrician is to ask around. Ask other parents—your friends, neighbors, and/or coworkers—whom they would recommend. If you are expecting, try to begin this process at least three months before the baby’s due date. Some questions you should ask other parents:
- How does their child respond to this physician? To his or her staff?
- Does their child dread or seem to fear the doctor, or does he/she seem comfortable with the doctor and staff?
- Do you feel comfortable asking questions during the visit, or even calling at another time to ask questions?
- Does the doctor take time during visits, or do you feel rushed?
- How quickly can you get an appointment for a well-child visit or for a sick-child visit? What about after-hours or on the weekend?
- Does the doctor and staff provide ample information regarding child development, immunizations, and/or illness?
Once you have found a physician who meets your family’s needs, accepts your insurance, and is accepting new patients, go ahead and let the office know that you have made a decision. Wherever you may live: in : Belleview, Citrus Springs, Crystal River, Dunnellon, Hernando, Iverness, Ocala- there are good physicians waiting for you!